- Title: Soulbound
- Author: Heather Brewer
- Series: Legacy of Tril #1
- Genre: UF, Paranormal
- Format: eBook
- Source: Own Copy
- Reviewer: Soo
- Rating: 3 out of 5
Description: Tril is a world where Barrons and Healers are Bound to each other: Barrons fight and Healers cure their Barrons’ wounds in the ongoing war with the evil Graplar King. Seventeen-year-old Kaya was born a Healer, but she wants to fight. In Tril, and at Shadow Academy, where she is sent to learn to heal, it is against Protocol for Healers to fight. So Kaya must learn in secret. Enter two young men: One charming, rule-following Barron who becomes Bound to Kaya and whose life she must protect at all costs. And one with a mysterious past who seems bent on making Kaya’s life as difficult as possible. Kaya asks both to train her, but only one will, and the consequences will change their lives forever.
Review: In the land of Tril, there is a hidden society of Barrons and Healers. Every Barron and Healer has a “soulbound” match when they are born. The Barrons are the warriors that fight in battle and the Healers are the ones that draw them back from injuries and potential death. That’s the way it works and those that venture away from Protocol could be sentenced to die.
Kaya’s parents are both Barrons who have lost their Healer in the last war. They fell in love after the battle and went into hiding to live their lives. It’s forbidden for warriors to marry another warrior or for Healers to marry another Healer. After a terrible attack in town, Kaya and her parents have been found out by the society. Kaya must go to the Shadow Academy for training or her parents’ will be killed.
Kaya doesn’t want to be a docile Healer that stands behind a Barron. She wants to be able to fight and protect those she loves herself. How far will she go for what she believes in?
- – I like the premise of the story. A young girl wants to be more than what is expected of her.
- – Interesting concept of Warrior/Healer bond.
- – Enjoyed the tension between Kaya and Darius. I like the fact that it’s not easy going with everyone.
- – The first encounter fight where Darius saves Kaya is good.
- – The initial secret training parts are good.
- – The bad guy! I want to know more about him.
- – The teacher being nuts from her loss and joining the dark side.
- – Maddox is great! Could be an awesome character. Needs for filling out.
- – Sort of interesting cliffhanger ending.
- – From the very beginning, the story comes off fluffy and a little trite. “Normal girl with extraordinary skill has an awful lost and decides to fight so she can fight against future attacks.”
- – If each Barron & Healer soulbound match is born at the same time, it’s cool but kinda creepy. To be matched with someone who is exactly you’re age and you don’t have a choice in the matter.
- – The bond is not explained very well in the story.
- – The Academy lesson scenes were very boring and made me want to skip those pages routinely.
- – It’s retarded that Kaya would be an “amazing” swordswoman after a few weeks or months. That’s total crap.
- – Flimsy love triangle!
- – Maddox doesn’t know how to fight but she’s a Healer bodyguard. How does that make sense?
- – How can Darius, who is 17, be the one who failed to defend the teacher’s daughter in the last war that happened at least 18 years ago in the story line?
I’m curious to see how the story line will continue and what will happen to Kaya, Darius and Trayton.