About a week after Silk Screen Views went live, our site was nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by Jeannius, the brains behind Happy Indulgence. She contacted me via our normal email correspondence on Goodreads and let me know about the nomination.
My first response:
What the heck is the Liebster Blog Award???
After a bit of research on the world wide web and general chitchat, this is what I figured out: the LBA is an award given by the blogging community to promising blog sites that have less than 200-300 followers. We received the award from Jeannius on March 8th, 2013. At the time, I believe Silk Screen Views had about 20 followers and over 700 hits. Not bad stats for a baby blog site with little networking. We were happy to receive the award but I barely knew other bloggers then, and I wasn’t ready to tackle the quest of adding an award to SSV. WordPress has it’s own rules to play by and I’m still a newb at the game.
Today, SSV was nominated for another award! Isn’t that cool? The site has been running for almost a month and a lot of things have happened. We now have 401 followers and are near 3000 hits. It’s time to rock & roll. We’re ready to post our awards and share the fun!
~ The Rules for the Liebster Blog Award ~
- You must answer 11 questions from the blog that nominated you.
- Choose & nominate 11 blogs to receive the LBA.
- Notify the blogs that they have been nominated for the LBA.
- Pick 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
1. What’s your favourite book you’ve read this year?
- I can’t name just one because I have a handful that I really like for different reasons:
- Wallbanger by Alice Clayton – Hilarious Romance
- Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan – Hadrian & Royce – Awesome Fantasy!
- Blaze of Glory by Michael Pryor – Best New Author Find
- Heist Society by Ally Carter – Intricate & Clever YA
- Soul Avenged by Keri Lake – New PNR Author & Series. Sons of Wrath. You’ll see.
- Backstage Pass – Steamy, music infused erotica.
- Cast in Peril by Michelle Sagara West – Latest in a favorite Fantasy series & SO MUCH HAPPENS!
2. Where in the world would you like to visit?
- Everywhere in Europe! I gobbled up all sorts of history, mythology, legends, fairy tales, religious texts and fiction as a kid. I always imagined the adventures happening in Europe.
3. What’s your favourite paranormal creature? (ie. vampires, zombies, faeries, etc.)
- I had to really think to answer this question. I want to be an Archangel! An angel of faith that serves to uphold balance, with amazing wings to zoom across multiple worlds, to live from the birth of creation and beyond, always learning and evolving. It would be an adventure.
4. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
- I have a talent for seeing skills and talents in other people. It would be cool if my ability was more than a gift of perception and one that I could draw forth in people. Say, I had a feeling that you would be good at drawing but you’ve never drawn before in your life. It would be really cool to draw that skill out and strengthen it by helping you to learn how to draw. Or if someone has amazing hand eye coordination and they’ve never tried archery. It would be fun and enriching to be able to point the skill out in the person and have them become stronger (faster than normal) by being a part of the learning process.
5. What’s an interesting fact about yourself?
- It’s such an odd question to me because I don’t think about myself as “interesting” or “special”. To me, I am ordinary and normal. I can learn just about anything at a quick rate. It’s a great ability that I love to abuse because it gives me the challenge and variety I love to experience in life.
6. What do you do for a living?
- I am a Freelance Contractor. That’s the easiest job description. Within that general field, I have been, am or still doing: telecom network engineer, private security officer, event organizer, photographer, special event cook, personal administrative assistant/organizer, editor, research assistant, home care provider, bodywork masseuse, promoter and writer.
7. What do you love about blogging?
- I started with very little knowledge and a simple idea but it’s becoming more than that. I love that. I love the way things aren’t exactly the way you expect it to be. It’s challenging, engaging and fun. Silk Screen Views keeps growing & evolving into something more than I expected and that’s a lot of fun for me.
8. Pirates or ninjas?
- Is that even a question?!?! Duh! Ninjas! A real ninja will kick a pirate over the rail and far beyond the plank!
9. What’s your opinion on transferring books to movies?
- I never expect the movie to be like the book. When I have that expectation, I always end up frustrated. Books can make great movies but it takes a really talented screenplay writer to make a good translation of the book into a screenplay. Who knows what happens during filming. It takes a great director and producer to piece together a film that can honestly represent a book. Never mind that the actors have to fit the roles well. I expect to be entertained but I do not expect it to be like the book.
10. Describe a perfect day for you.
- A perfect day is today. I’m getting everything I need to do done and I have pockets of lovely silence to enjoy by myself between bouts of comraderie with friends.
11. Do you prefer physical books, ebooks, or audiobooks?
- Hardbacks are my baby of choice! However, my books take up more space than I have to spare. Thus I’ve become fond of ebooks for saving space and ease of travel. I’ve extremely snotty about audiobooks and I’ve only heard two that I really love. The rest is very bleh-meh.
Silk Screen Views Nominates the Following
- Anthony Ryan
- Keri Lake
- Yaz’s Books’n’Stuff
- Elizabeth’s Art Studio
- Duck Blood Soup
- Love Affair with an e-Reader
- Girl None
- Oh My Shelves
- Curran Geist: Enter the Sity
- Jennifer Foehner Wells
- Susan E. Curnow
Soo ~ The Instigator’s ~ Questions for the Nominees
- What was your first response when you got my email about the Liebster Blog Award?
- Name a weird event that has happened due to running a blog. If the answer is no, tell a joke. It must be FUNNY!
- Has anything unexpected happened to you by writing a post? If the answer is no, create a haiku about your blog.
- Light saber or magic wand? Defend your answer! =)
- What is a flaw you would never give up?
- If you could rid the world of stupid people, would you? Why or why not?
- What three things do you absolutely must have to survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
- Is there a book you regret reading? What was it?
- What do you do when your creative juices dry up and you can’t write anything but ellipses?
- What is your definition of a white lie?
- Why did you decide to accept the LBA & participate in the blog meme?