Welcome to Silk Screen View’s first author interview! We’re happy to have the author of Soul Avenged, Keri Lake, and two surprise guests to kick off SSV’s Author Interview + Review series. Don’t forget to enter the International Giveaway Contest! Keri has brought two pivotal characters of the first book in the Sons of Wrath series with her today. Let me introduce, Ayden, the kickass heroine of the book and Kane Walker, a shapeshifter.
- Keri: Thank you, Soo, for having all of us on your blog!
- Ayden: **nods** .
- Kane: Any time I can escape the handcuffs is a pleasure! Thanks for the invite!
- Soo: **flashes a grin** You welcome, Kane. I’m sure the readers are dying to find out why you’re in handcuffs!
For those who are new to Soul Avenged (Sons of Wrath #1), here is a quick synopsis:
Ayden’s suburban home was invaded by a pack of Lycans. The brutal attack is the only memory she carries of her former life.
Now, one motive burns in her soul: KILL THEM ALL
The Sons of Wrath—a brood of vengeance-dealing warrior demons—band with Ayden to hunt the Lycans on Detroit’s most deadly feeding grounds. Kane Walker should’ve been her easiest kill. Unfortunately, the newly bitten Lycan has something she wants—clues that may finally lay her past to rest. To reach them, she must be willing to submit to the sensual pleasures awakened by his touch.
Time is running out. Kane is changing into what Ayden despises most. She can halt his transformation but the antidote requires the ultimate sacrifice. As the beast takes hold, Kane becomes more of a threat. Ayden must choose between her lust for revenge, or surrender to her enemy and discover a horrible truth.
1. Let’s start the interview! Keri, can you give a small look into the world of Sons of Wrath?
- Keri: Absolutely! The story, as you read from the blurb, is set in Detroit–a very dark and somewhat gothic Detroit. It begins after Ayden’s home is invaded by a pack of Lycans and she seeks out the Sons of Wrath, the vengeance dealers for hire, to help her find the wolf that attacked her.
- Ayden: Actually, I was prepared to destroy every Lycan on the planet until he **jerks head toward Kane** showed up.
- Kane: **grins** I put the fun back into her Saturday nights. What can I say?
2. How did you create Ayden and Kane? What part sticks out to you the most?
- Keri: Well, I’m pretty sure Ayden would agree that she kind of created herself. I spent a few months ignoring her skull-pounding demands for attention.
- Ayden: **snickers**
- Keri: She can be relentless. So I decided to explore her badass character a bit more in my head and I pretty much had her and her motives fleshed out within a matter of hours. She lives with a bunch of brawny demons, so she’s not lacking for strong male interaction.
- Kane: I don’t like where this is going …
- Keri: I didn’t want to pair her with some big, brooding hard ass. I would’ve had two stubborn, clashing forces on my hands and these two were bad enough. Kane, with his smartass mouth, gets under her skin quite a bit.
- Ayden: That’s an understatement.
- Kane: She loves it! **winks**
- Keri: But that’s just it. He gets under her skin enough to pull her out of this dark and twisted world she’s immersed herself. I think the part that sticks out to me the most is just the constant taunting between the two of them. Kane really knows how to push her buttons! And he does it well.
3. Which one gave you the most grief while writing?
- Keri: **glances to the side and huffs** I’d have to say Ayden. As much as Kane tried to break down her defenses she just wouldn’t give in.
- Kane: **clears throat** I beg to differ.
- Keri: **shoots Kane the evil eye** Yes, but we don’t want to spoil anything for the readers, now do we?
- Kane: **looks innocent** What? Who me?
- Ayden: **snorts**
4. Alright, this is a serious one. The three of you are thrown into an arena. Light saber or magic wand? Which one would you pick and why? WHO would win?!?!
- Kane: Uh, hold up. You’re asking a man to choose between Harry Potter or Star Wars? That’s a no-brainer. And I’d win. We all know guys are better at wielding sabers. **winks at Ayden** Isn’t that right, babe?
- Ayden: To hell with that. I’d choose the lightsaber and kick his Lycan Skywalker ass!
- Kane: **shifts in seat** Will you be dressed as Princess Leia while you’re doing it? Slave costume, preferably.
- Keri: I choose popcorn. I’ll just kick back and watch these two go at it.
- Soo: Are you sure you don’t want the magic wand as the referee at least? **grin**
- Keri: Ooh, good idea. Might have to zap their asses every so often. **laughs**
5. If a movie was made, who would you pick to be you in the movie?
- Kane: I’m not so sure there’s a guy out there who can embody this much sexy, know what I’m sayin’? But if I HAD to choose, I’d say Al Pacino or Robert DeNiro.
- Ayden: **frowns** Al Pacino? Robert DeNiro? That’s not even close.
- Kane: The movies are never exactly like the books. I choose Angelina Jolie or Olivia Wilde for Ayden. **rubs hands together** and a lot more sex. A lot more.
- Ayden: That’d be like, a 30 year age difference. **shakes head** No way I’d get it on with an old guy.
- Kane: **smiles** Goes back to knowing how to wield a saber, baby.
- Keri: I’d say more Ryan Reynolds a la Blade Trinity for Kane. He’s too much of a smartass.
6. The world’s gone nuts and you have no choice but to join the circus! What would you do there?
- Ayden: **smiles** Who’s the character that whips the tigers?
- Kane: Again, will you be dressed as Princess Leia? Say, with a nice pair of black stilettos and thigh-highs?
- Keri: I guess that would make me the Ringmaster of all these clowns.
- Soo: Does this mean that Kane’s the clown? **impish grin**
- Kane: Hell no! Those bastards are creepy as shit.
- Ayden: You become an enormous, raging, blood-thirsty beast every night and you’re creeped out by clowns?
- Kane: Did you watch that Stephen King movie?
- Ayden: **shakes head**
7. Ok, ok. Let’s get serious. Ayden, tell me more about your photography. Why did you start? What camera did you use?
- Ayden: **shrugs shoulders and shifts in chair** I like that cameras capture more than what you see on the outside. I mean, take the city of Detroit. People say it’s ugly. Ruined. Dangerous. But sometimes even the most seemingly unsalvageable things have some redeeming qualities.
- Kane: Wow. That was… almost poetic.
- Ayden: **punches Kane in the arm** Gavin let me use a Nikon when I first teamed up with them. He’s not much of a photographer, but he has an art studio with some older, antique cameras and a darkroom in the mansion.
- Keri: Uh, I’ll just mention quickly, Soo, since your subscribers might not know who Gavin is, she’s talking about the eldest of the Wrath brothers. Their leader.
- Soo: Just to let the readers know, Gavin is HOT! **coughs** Let’s get back to Ayden. What do you love about photography?
- Ayden: I love the quie. Silent observation. As if there’s an unspoken connection between me and what I’m photographing. The pictures I take are a connection I’ve managed to create with the world. So when Gavin saw how much I loved doing it, he went all out and bought a Hasselblad for the studio.
8. Kane, do you miss being normal? Do you feel very different now that you’re a shapeshifter?
- Ayden: Normal? **snorts** I don’t think he was ever normal as a human.
- Kane: I know it sounds crazy, but no. I can’t say there’s anything about my old life that I miss. It’s a little tricky trying to control the rage when I do change—guess I’m a bit like the Hulk when I get pissed off. But I feel healthier, stronger than I’ve ever been in my life. Shit, I didn’t even have a body that looked this great in college when I played football! Feels good to bust out in my birthday suit and go for a late night run through the woods. **glances at Ayden and winks**
- Ayden: Yeah, he makes a pretty hot supe. I’ll give him that.
9. If you could, would you try to shapeshift into a mythical creature? Which one & why?
- Keri: As the non-supe of the bunch, I’d love to shapeshift into a mermaid and explore the depths of the ocean—places where no human has ever been.
- Ayden: I don’t know. **smiles** Medusa might be kind of fun for a day.
- Kane: I guess I’d want to be a snake charmer then.
- Ayden: Charm all you want. It’s the eyes you have to look out for.
- Kane: **cocks a brow** Don’t I know this? I fell victim to them once already.
- Keri: Oh this is just too damn cute for words…
10. Alright, gang! Time to put your thinking caps on. What would you pick to be your theme song?
- Keri: I listened to Shelter by The XX for Kane and Ayden. But I’d have to say overall Kiss With a Fist by Florence & The Machine is more appropriate for these two.
- Ayden: Monster by Paramore.
- Kane: Walk by Pantera.
- Keri: **scratches head**
- Ayden: **stares**
- Kane: What? The song kicks ass. I say Cowboys from Hell for the other guys. Those demon brothers are the craziest bastards I’ve ever met.
11. Keri, what’s next for you?
- Keri: Let’s see… my first vlog is coming up on the 25th of March over at Jean Booknerd Blog. And I’m actually working on book two. It’s in edits right now. This story will focus on one of the brothers. In fact, the remaining books in the series will focus on the Sons of Wrath now. **pats Kane on the leg** But don’t worry, these two will make appearances.
- Kane: I’m okay laying low in the next one. **grins** As long as I get to hang out in the cave with Ayden.
12. Keri, what do you think influences your writing the most and why?
- Keri: Music, hands down. It helps me get into the zone and connect with my characters.
- Soo: That’s interesting! I know you’re working on the next book in the series. What music are you listening to now?
- Keri: I’m actually listening to a lot of Deftones for this next book. You’ve Seen the Butcher kind of puts me in the ‘Logan Zone’. I’ve also added songs from the Sucker Punch soundtrack, Bullet for My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Chevelle and Stone Sour. I also like You by The Pretty Reckless.
13. What’s your fav cartoon as a child?
- Keri: Hmmmm. Good question. I actually liked She-Ra when I was young. And the old Mickey Mouse Cartoons.
- Kane: Wow. That explains… a lot, actually. Mine was Transformers.
- Ayden: I don’t really remember what my favorite cartoon was.
14. Now that you’re published, do you feel that the things that challenge you are different?
- Keri: I think the only real difference between a published and non-published writer is the commitment to readers. People want to know what’s going to happen next now that Soul Avenged is out there and I have somewhat of a duty to deliver on that. So I’m going to be putting some pretty intense efforts into getting this second book out to readers ASAP.
- Soo: I can’t wait for it to come out! I really enjoyed Soul Avenged.
- Keri: Awesome! So glad you enjoyed the read!
Thanks for coming in for an interview with me for Silk Screen Views! Any last words for the readers and fans?
- Keri: Yes, thank you so much for taking an interest in these guys. They’re a pain in the ass but hopefully their banter keeps you entertained. Also thanks so much for the reviews and the humbling comments about the book!
- Ayden: Yeah, Keri’s got a pretty twisted imagination. Glad she finally caved and wrote the story.
- Kane: Me too. Though I could’ve done without all the pain shit. That sucked.
- Keri: **grins** nobody gets a Happily Ever After in my book without walking through a little hell. That includes you, Kane.
- Kane: Ha! Ain’t that the truth.
That’s a wrap up for our first author interview with Keri Lake, Ayden and Kane Walker! Thank you for joining us and being a part of our 100th Review celebration.
*** Contest ~ What actor and actress would be the best portray Ayden and Kane in a movie? ***
- Sign up to Follow Silk Screen View
- Read Keri Lake’s Interview
- Post a Comment on the Interview with the Following:
- Contest Answers: Name an Actor for Ayden & Kane.
- A note to Keri or SSV.